How casual are Casual Fridays?

Hi there!!!

Have you ever noticed that the use of ties is decaying more and more? this could be a holistic trend towards a new no-dress-code businesses or fresh and casual attires. We are still far behind that point but casual Fridays are a glimpse into how the future is going to look like; lets just don’t go ahead of ourselves yet. Casual friday is becoming a thing now, it’s a trend that it’s going deeper into our offices by the day.

The real question here is: how casual is casual Friday?

After going through the first eight results pages of “Casual Friday” search on Google (I know, it’s a lot!), I was not able to find one single result saying that you should relax and go in with your gym clothes to work. Au contraire, almost all the results emphasise on standing out by taking your attire a nudge up on casual Fridays.

According to Davis-Ali and O'Brien, you should take three things into consideration when determining the right way to dress on Casual Friday: 1) Consider the job you are performing (dress for maximum productivity on the job), 2) Consider the culture of your organization and 3) Consider the way your boss dresses (Davis-Ali & O'Brien 2013)

Readers beware, “the casual clothes change the image you project and also may affect your work style.” (Guffey, Loewy, Rhodes & Rogin, 2015).

So where do I stand?. Well, to be honest, I enjoy myself on Casual Fridays, but as a business administrator myself I can assure you that you must take the casual Friday opportunity to improve your game on the career ladder. It is a complicated, hard road and any boast can help. I am one truly believer that each person holds its own brand and that is why workplace fashion it is so important to me, I am not saying that looks are everything, but be goddamn sure that they play an important role and can help you a lot.

Remember: enjoy yourself but do not forget you are working and if you take your career seriously you should always hold an image of professionalism from day one until the last day of your contract. I conclude, then, that Casual Fridays are not as casual as they might appear.

How do you feel about Casual Fridays? Let me know in the comments section, I will enjoy reading your opinions and remember to vote in our poll at the left section of the blog.

Enjoy this little video about Casual Fridays, I know I did:




REFERENCES

Davis-Ali, S., O’Brien, P. (2013, April 17). Great career success debate: How should I dress on Casual Friday?.USA Today College. Retrieved from http://college.usatoday.com/

Guffey, M., Loewy, D., Rhodes, K., & Rogin, P. (2015, February 12).  Business Communication Process & Product (5th Ed.). Nelson College Indigenous.

Comments